Wednesday, August 14, 2013

The Speer Family Unpackaged

Today we continue to work on planning for our week of not eating chemical laden food (starting Sunday).   A big goal of mine is to curb the kids addiction to crackers and to a smaller extent cereal. Right now a huge portion of their daily nutrition comes from crackers.  Can you spot the one product of this group deemed acceptable for our week?  Only the Annie's bunny crackers.  The kids will be thrilled about that.  The only negative is that they are not whole grain.  
 What other snacks are ok?  These Terra chips, and even Tostito's Multigrain Scoops.  I hope the kids will go for some of my healthier snack alternatives next week.  We will be making homemade granola bars and muffins. 


Paul and Joy love chicken noodle soup, so I thought I'd make a big batch of that to heat up here and there for them.  It was not as easy as I thought.  First of all, we are not eating chicken. (This took longer for me to realize than one would think).  So, I decided pork roast, which I set out to thaw, would (hopefully) be an acceptable alternative.  



Second, finding non-enriched egg noodles proved almost impossible.  After MUCH searching I found these noodles with only two beautiful ingredients, semolina and eggs.  I'm staying away from "enriched" products for the moment because I haven't had time to research the process of enriching with vitamins and whatnot.  It may be "natural," I just haven't investigated fully yet.  

No comments:

Post a Comment