Thursday, August 22, 2013

Speer Family Unpackaged Day 5

The kids started their day with a giant breakfast, they must have been starving!  They had "chicken" noodle soup (2 bowls for Paul!), brick cheese cubes and 2 kinds of nuts.  I had banana bread.
They took bunny crackers and a granola bar on our walk.  They didn't eat much on our walk because they were full from breakfast!  
Shawn and I had grilled cheese for lunch, the kids didn't really eat much lunch.  Maybe they were still full.  Joy did have some mac and cheese, and they snacked on blueberries and pears. Later in the afternoon they ate some cheese and Terra chips.  I was happy to discover the Frigio string cheese I had in the fridge was ok to have this week.  

We worked hard battling cabbage worms this summer, and it was finally time to harvest some cabbage!   We watched a YouTube video on how to harvest cabbage as this was our first time.   We found five slugs in the outer leaves!  The kids had fun playing with them.

The inner leaves were quite clean, though, and I was excited to shred up a whole bunch of it. We got our mis en place ready for dinner and then headed to the Farmer's Market.

 This was the biggest battle I had about not eating chemicals with the kids all week.  EVERY week they love getting snow cones at the Farmer's Market.  I told them this week they could have them plain, without the syrup.  Paul was NOT happy!  Finally, I placated him by telling him when we got home he could have the rest of the homemade ice cream and a no-bake.  When we got there, they were fine with their plain snow cones.  I did let them have a free sample of chocolate bar at the FM.  It was organic chocolate at least!
When we got home, the kids had their promised snack and we made our dinner - cabbage and noodles with ham.  I figured Shawn and I would eat it and I'd end up making something else for the kids, but I made them up small plates of it anyways.  They happily ate it up!  I couldn't believe it!

They had their usual cheese, nuts and banana chips for bed time snack.

Lessons Learned Today
1. Don't start habits you don't want to continue!  These kids love their Grandma-popsicle habit and their Farmer's Market snow cone habit.  I don't really care if they eat these things, it's usually only once a week.  But in the future, I should pay close attention to what food rituals I begin.
2.  Besides the Farmer's Market incident today, I'm really starting to feel like this is the new normal.  It no longer feels like a special event (except for all the picture taking and extra blogging).  

No comments:

Post a Comment