Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Speer Family Unpackaged Day 3

I sort of can't believe it's only been 3 days, I feel like we've been at this for a while.  I guess it's because I spent so much time in preparation.  

The composition of my refrigerator has certainly changed.  Now there are tons of containers of dough and food to store for the week (mac and cheese, "chicken" noodle soup, cookies) and fruits and veggies.  There are still some packaged things that will last beyond the week, of course.  I feel like I'm starting to run out of containers.  

We had oatmeal and blueberry muffins for breakfast this morning.  The kids had bunny crackers and homemade granola bars on our walk.  We had cucumbers and grilled cheese for lunch, and Joy had mac and cheese.  
This afternoon we had our homemade vanilla gelato.  It was AWESOME!

Tonight we made Harvest Vegetable Venison Spelt Pasta.  It took 2 hours to make, from digging the veggies out of the ground to getting it on the table.  The kids did watch TV for part of it, and then they helped clean the fennel and carrots.  They mostly played in the carrot scrubbing water.Shawn made tomato sauce from my mom's tomatoes.  I made garlic oil and cooked the venison and veggies (onions, fennel, carrots and herbs from the garden; pattypan squash from the FM) up in that. I bought some organic spelt pasta.  We topped it all off with parmesan and it was so, so good. The kids did a great job eating it.  I was surprised I liked the venison so well, and they did too.  


All that harvesting made for lots of compost to take out!

Now, for their bedtime snack, the kids are having brick cheese cubes, peanuts, raisins and banana chips.

Lessons Learned Today:
1. I really did over plan with the food.  We could have made do with less.  Some things will end up going to waste.  For some reason, we seem to need way less food.
2.  When we eat real food, we are not nearly as hungry for snacks.  I'm really starting to believe that chemical food truly does make you really hungry.  I don't understand why.  Real food is way more satisfying.
3.  This is not difficult for the kids at all, really.  It's only a lot of work.  They haven't whined or complained or begged for anything.  I can't blame our chemical dependency on them!

No comments:

Post a Comment