Friday, March 14, 2014

The Speer Family Goes Raw Day 5

Yesterday I was not feeling well.  I'm pretty sure it was due to eating too many nuts.  Shawn is fine, fortunately.  
Today I've only eaten a very small amount of nuts and am feeling much better!

These were our nutty Neapolitans from yesterday.  Avacado icing on the bottom, strawberry cashew "yogurt" in the middle, vanilla cashew cream on top and a sprinkle of muesli.  It was tasty 
 I had vanilla cashew cream in my coffee then strained it out.  I like dairy much better!  I think I'll hold off on coffee until the week is over.
I was also very stressed out yesterday trying to get everything made.  This raw diet is a lot of work!  Plus, I always make way more than is needed.  I can't stop myself, even if it's making me crazy.

Today I planned to cut way back on the nuts.  I had plain naan for breakfast and my blueberry smoothie for a snack.  We had a picnic lunch with Dina and kids at Toys to Try, so I made myself these little gems.  They were sandwiches with walnut pate (my only nuts for the day) on the bottom and raw marinara sauce.  They were fantastic!!!  I'd definitely eat them any time, raw diet or not.  I also had some mixed fruit and Dina brought some carrots.

For dinner, we had taco salad with lettuce, corn, tomatoes and guacamole.  It was good, especially with more naan.  I had a couple scoops of avocado icing for dessert.


Recipe of the Day:  Chocolate Avocado Icing (My favorite raw recipe!)
1/4 cup pitted dates, soaked in water for 10 minutes and drained
1/3 cup maple syrup or agave nectar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 avocados, mashed
6 tbs unsweetened cocoa powder

Put the dates, maple syrup and vanilla in food processor and process until smooth.  I processed for quite a while, almost 5 minutes.  I didn't want any chunks of dates.  Add the avocados and cocoa powder and process until creamy, scraping down the bowl as necessary.  The original recipe only called for 1/4 cup sweetener, but I like it really sweet!
This recipe is adapted from Raw Food Made Easy (http://www.amazon.com/Raw-Food-Made-Easy-People-ebook/dp/B00BUV1DZO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394568233&sr=8-1&keywords=raw+food+made+easy)  by Jennifer Cornbleet.  Her website is http://learnrawfood.com/



No comments:

Post a Comment