Wednesday, March 12, 2014

The Speer Family Goes Raw Day 3

For breakfast this morning, I had naan with a combination of the strawberry cashew yogurt and the avocado chocolate icing.  It was out of this world good!  I had a green smoothie for my morning snack.  
I took lunch to my grandmas today.  I made salads for her and me.  They had romaine, spinach, carrots, raisins, dried cranberries, walnuts and pecans.  I used the apple salad dressing from the Raw Food Made Easy book.  The salads were very good, my grandma enjoyed them too.  The salad dressing was awesome, it was also really great to dip bread in. 
I finished out the guacamole with pita for an afternoon snack.
For dinner, we had these veggies tossed with cashew ranch in pitas.  It was fine, but it was a little too veggie-y for me.  Not my favorite of all the things we've had.


After dinner we made cashew ice cream.  It had a great flavor, although the grainy texture is a little strange.  The kids enjoyed it with Nutella and Shawn and I liked it with our homemade pecan butter.



Tonight I worked on making some things for the days ahead.  Above is walnut pate.  I was extremely surprised how flavorful it was.  It was very meaty.  I think I'll have to make the marinara sauce from the book and make little meatball subs with it.

This is almond "peanut" sauce.  I like it and it will make a great dip for raw vegetables.  

This evening, while I was making the peanut sauce, walnut pate and some other things, Paul and Joy were winding down watching tv. I let Paul eat entire 2 packages of bright orange, artificial this and that sandwich crackers.  I am upset with myself about this.  I have a refrigerator full of fresh fruit I could have served him, but I let him eat junk while I made stuff for Shawn and I.  I intend to not let that happen again this week!


Today's recipe:
Cashew Ice Cream:
1 cup cashews, soaked for 2 hours in a mason jar full of water and drained
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla
Dash salt

Blend in blender until smooth.  Pour into ice cream maker and process according to the machine's directions.

This was actually really simple since I already had soaked cashews in the fridge.  It was way easier than cooking a creme anglaise sauce and then waiting for it to chill to make regular ice cream.

This recipe is adapted from Raw Food Made Easy (http://www.amazon.com/Raw-Food-Made-Easy-People-ebook/dp/B00BUV1DZO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394568233&sr=8-1&keywords=raw+food+made+easy)  by Jennifer Cornbleet.  Her website is http://learnrawfood.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment